COVID-19 Volunteer Response
Please visit our Volunteer COVID-19 Portal – a new information page set up to provide you with volunteer information and volunteering help and support though the COVID-19 pandemic.
Thank you to the amazing response from the community the past couple of weeks. We’ve had a high number of people come forward to volunteer with local community groups across the Western Isles who are providing ongoing support for our most vulnerable citizens at this time.
Please note that opportunities to volunteer for voluntary organisations and public services are limited at this time. More volunteers will be required over the coming weeks and as these opportunities become available they will be added here.
In the meantime thank you and please Think Local, Act Local.
Volunteer Centre Western Isles supports the COVID-19 response in the following ways:
- Find you a volunteer opportunity, where possible and safe to do so;
- Support to COVID-19 volunteers who have signed up to help through the Scottish Governments Ready Scotland site;
- Help to promote local volunteer roles related to the COVID-19 community response;
- Providing advice and guidance on volunteering safely when dealing with vulnerable members of the public;
- Support to community groups and organisations with volunteer management, sample policies;
- Signposting to TSIWI partners for funding advice and support;
- Communicate with local volunteers and organisations to let them know what is happening and connect them where relevant
As of 23 March 2020 the government introduced 3 new measures:
- Requiring people to stay at home, except for very limited purposes
- Closing non-essential shops and community spaces
- Stopping all gatherings of more than two people in public
Every citizen must comply with these measures effective immediately.
What does this mean for volunteering?
Only services which are essential should be provided in communities. Volunteers are encouraged to look out for their neighbours. Please ensure you heed all relevant advice around staying safe and keeping others around you safe. Check out the guidance from Ready Scotland.
Please continue to check our website news, Facebook and Instagram for the latest volunteering opportunities, updates and good practice guides.
Get in touch with any questions – we are here to help!
Meantime thank you and please Think Local, Act Local.
Managing risk As lockdown begins to ease in Scotland, managing risk is vital. Your organisation should already have a risk register and a proactive approach to risk management, but you […]
#NeverMoreNeeded Campaign Scotland’s voluntary sector has been never more needed and never more stretched than it is right now as we strive to cope with coronavirus. We don’t know what the […]
Lead Scotland are hosting short classes on Zoom over the next few months to help people to use the internet confidently and safely. Everyone is welcome to attend. During the Covid-19 […]
If you are 25 or under, volunteer with us – you never know where it could take you! We have opportunities throughout the Outer Hebrides – tell us what you are interested in and we will help you find a volunteering opportunity. Watch local girl Eleanor Nicolson’s volunteer journey, produced by the Wee Studio.
Find out what you can offer in your local area