Celebrating Youth Volunteering
Aged 12-25 and volunteer?
The Saltire Awards are the Scottish Government’s way of celebrating, recognising and rewarding the commitment, contribution and achievements of young volunteers in Scotland.
Are you between 12 and 25 years and ready to begin or have already started volunteering?
✓ If so, you’re now ready to sign up for your own My Saltire Account
Here at Volunteer Centre Western Isles, we can support you to sign up, find a volunteering opportunity and advise you on how to get the most out of your Saltire Awards. Get in touch for more info email@example.com
What are the Saltire Awards?
The Saltire Awards are the Scottish Government’s way of celebrating, recognising and rewarding the commitment, contribution and achievements of young volunteers in Scotland, aged between 12 and 25.
Young people gain nationally recognised certificates, signed by Scottish Government Ministers, for the different amounts of volunteering they do.
What is volunteering?
The Saltire Awards recognise volunteering that meets the following three clear characteristics:
- It is a free will activity. This means you are doing it because you want to, and no one is forcing you to do it.
- It is not done for financial gain. Volunteering is not a job and you cannot be paid; however, you may have any reasonable expenses covered.
- It is for the benefit of the community, society at large or an individual
Why you might want to volunteer?
- Gain new skills and experience that will look great on your CV and could help you at school and/or work
- Meet new people and make new friends and connections
- Make a difference to individual people, communities and the environment
- Have fun! You will have the chance to get involved in variety of activities that might not have done before