Volunteering and Coronavirus / COVID-19 portal
Thank you to the amazing response from the community the past couple of weeks. We’ve had a high number of people come forward to volunteer with local community groups across the Western Isles who are providing ongoing support for our most vulnerable citizens at this time.
On this page, you will find advice on how to help during the Covid-19 pandemic. We realise there is a lot of information around at the moment – this portal contains trusted information for community groups, organisations and volunteers.
The most impactful thing anyone can do is follow guidance on how to be a good neighbour which you can find on this page.
Please note that opportunities to volunteer for voluntary organisations and public services are limited at this time. More volunteers will be required over the coming weeks and as these opportunities become available they will be added here.
Meantime thank you and please Think Local, Act Local.
We continue to work as a partner in the Third Sector Interface Western Isles (TSIWI) with our local partners to ensure that the needs of the third sector and local community are being met.
Volunteer Centre Western Isles supports the COVID-19 response in the following ways:
- Find you a volunteer opportunity, where possible and safe to do so;
- Support to COVID-19 volunteers who have signed up to help through the Scottish Governments Ready Scotland site;
- Help to promote local volunteer roles related to the COVID-19 community response;
- Providing advice and guidance on volunteering safely when dealing with vulnerable members of the public;
- Support to community groups and organisations with volunteer management, sample policies;
- Signposting to TSIWI partners for funding advice and support;
- Communicate with local volunteers and organisations to let them know what is happening and connect them where relevantPlease continue to check our website news, Facebook and Instagram for the latest volunteering opportunities, updates and good practice guides.
The role of governance has never been more important, in order to safely navigate your organisation through this pandemic see below for some useful links and guidance.