Volunteering and Coronavirus / COVID-19 portal
On this page, you will find advice on how to help during the Covid-19 pandemic. We realise there is a lot of information around at the moment – this portal contains trusted information for community groups, organisations and volunteers.
The most impactful thing anyone can do is follow guidance on how to be a good neighbour which you can find on this page.
Please note that opportunities to volunteer for voluntary organisations and public services are limited at this time due to Phase 3 restrictions.
Meantime thank you and please Think Local, Act Local.
Supporting staff & volunteers
We are here to support you and your organisation to volunteer and work safely during the COVID lockdown. As we move through Phase 3, we can support you with the latest information and training to deliver your services as safely as possible by talking about returning to work
As lockdown eases, organisations need to think about how staff and volunteers can continue to work safely.
Scottish Government advice is that remote working should remain the default for all of those who can. If your organisation has successfully moved to home working and digital service delivery this might mean that you do not need to reopen physical services or premises for some time.
**New** online course available:
Keeping Volunteers Safe: Restarting your Volunteer Programme
This new course by Volunteer Scotland covers the essential things you need to consider to ensure a positive experience for individuals returning to volunteering following suspension of programmes in response to Covid-19. The overall aim is to help you prepare your volunteers, organisation and colleagues to return to supporting volunteer involvement in your work.
Any questions? Get in touch with any questions – we are here to help!
Volunteer Centre Western Isles supports the COVID-19 response in the following ways:
- Find you a volunteer opportunity, where possible and safe to do so;
- Support to COVID-19 volunteers who have signed up to help through the Scottish Governments Ready Scotland site;
- Help to promote local volunteer roles related to the COVID-19 community response;
- Providing advice and guidance on volunteering safely when dealing with vulnerable members of the public;
- Support to community groups and organisations with volunteer management, sample policies;
- Signposting to TSIWI partners for funding advice and support;
- Communicate with local volunteers and organisations to let them know what is happening and connect them where relevantPlease continue to check our website news, Facebook and Instagram for the latest volunteering opportunities, updates and good practice guides.
The role of governance has never been more important, in order to safely navigate your organisation through this pandemic see below for some useful links and guidance.
We continue to work as a partner in the Third Sector Interface Western Isles (TSIWI) with our local partners to ensure that the needs of the third sector and local community are being met.